We took a walk around Rome that evening, taking in the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Colosseum. It was gorgeous at night. We saw a massive drunken crew parading along outside the Colosseum which we took to be the pub crawl, and all agreed that none of us wanted to do that. Too touristy, too anonymous, too loutish. Needless to say, 24 hours later, we were on the pub crawl.
We joined some guided tour, paying the extra cash to skip the queue and to absorb a bit of extra info. It was actually really good value, as the tour guide was knowledgeable and kept the information coming thick and fast. Also, we got some hilarious pics with a centurion, which are of course priceless. We got a free tour of the Roman Forum thrown in, which we went on later that afternoon. It was equally interesting, and given by a guy who we later found out was an ex-school teacher, which explained why he kept saying 'now who knows what this is?' even though everybody was obviously clueless. He told us that he'd been head-hunted for the job. I didn't know teachers were head-hunted. No offence.
Anyway that night we decided to sacrifice a whole €20 to the god of alcohol. We spent an hour drinking for 'free' and the rest of the night, as they say, is history.
There were two guys dressed as Wally for some reason (as in Where's Wally) and I will say that Silvia's status on fb the next morning was 'Silvia wandered around Rome last night barefoot and with no panties, and I'm SURE the wind was blowing'. She is quite a character.The next day we were feeling a little less up to charging around the city, but we did head back to the Pantheon to take a look inside, which was lovely, even though the weather left a little to be desired.
We then sat down to lunch at a nearby restaurant, where our table was attended by, I have to say, the worst waiter in the world. For him, setting our places consisted of dumping the cutlery and napkins in a pile in front of us. He couldn't understand what we were saying, my meal arrived 15 minutes later than Silvia and Lucy's, and an umbrella fell down onto the woman at the table next to us, who somewhat mysteriously (and, I have to say, quite humourously), started to cry. At the end of the meal, when we asked for the bill, the waiter spent waaaaaaaay too long constantly hilariously jerking it out of Silvia's reach so she literally put her hand out for it like 20 times. We then realised that he had given us the wrong bill, and unfortunately when we pointed this out, his boss heard, and looked furious. All through this, our waiter smiled and laughed like he was having the time of his life, and I must admit that we laughed with him, admittedly a little hysterically. His name, it turned out, was Silvio. Silvia later asked 'what was that guy's name again? Silvano?'. I know, I know, she can't even remember her own name.
We then sat down to lunch at a nearby restaurant, where our table was attended by, I have to say, the worst waiter in the world. For him, setting our places consisted of dumping the cutlery and napkins in a pile in front of us. He couldn't understand what we were saying, my meal arrived 15 minutes later than Silvia and Lucy's, and an umbrella fell down onto the woman at the table next to us, who somewhat mysteriously (and, I have to say, quite humourously), started to cry. At the end of the meal, when we asked for the bill, the waiter spent waaaaaaaay too long constantly hilariously jerking it out of Silvia's reach so she literally put her hand out for it like 20 times. We then realised that he had given us the wrong bill, and unfortunately when we pointed this out, his boss heard, and looked furious. All through this, our waiter smiled and laughed like he was having the time of his life, and I must admit that we laughed with him, admittedly a little hysterically. His name, it turned out, was Silvio. Silvia later asked 'what was that guy's name again? Silvano?'. I know, I know, she can't even remember her own name.
The next day we headed to the Vatican. Apparently Monday is the busiest day, so good choice us. We paid a lot of money for a guided tour, which, although the organisation was atrocious, turned out to be quite informative. We went through all the important pieces in the Museo and the Old Papal Apartments, and ended up in the Sistine Chapel. Then we went to the Basilica and climbed the Cupola, which was well worth the €5 and 500-odd steps, as the view was amazing and the sloping staircases were extremely entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment